Felicia Day recently released a video, called Newbie Board Games!, in which she shows off some board games that are perfect for beginners. These games are great for those who are inexperienced gamers because the instructions are not complicated, and you can sit down and start to play pretty much right away.
My family loves playing board games, so I thought I would share some of our favorites to play when we are playing with new people or even when we are tired or have limited time. These games are simple but very fun.
1. King of Tokyo: Hands down, this game is the best to gift to new board gamers. I don’t think I’ve heard anyone personally say that they did not have a great time with this, kids and adults alike.
2. Dino Hunt Dice: This is a very simple game that even young kids can play. I reviewed it a couple months ago on my personal blog. It’s great to take with you if you are waiting at the airport or at a restaurant. And, you know, dinosaurs!
3. Zombie Dice: This is Dino Hunt Dice‘s big brother, with very similar rules. Braiiinnnnnssss….. You roll dice and collect brains. But don’t get shot! Again, it’s simple, but involves a little strategy. There are also a couple expansion packs available to add even more fun to the mix.
4. Shinobi Wat-AAH!: Practice your ninja skills! Again, simple rules, and there are two levels of play–one with just cards, where you build clans, and another with a board that is slightly more complicated but still is a lot of fun. I love the art work in this game.
5. Castellan: A game of competitive engineering. You draw cards that tell you which pieces you can use, and build pieces onto a castle. When You enclose an area, it’s yours! At the end, you count up how many towers are in your enclosures. Whoever has the most, wins!
There is something for everyone here. Happy gaming!
1 thought on “Board Games for Newbs and Kids!”
Comments are closed.