I’m not a vegan. I’m not a vegetarian. I’m not even that much of a health nut. But I gotta say, I’m a big fan of soy. Edamame makes for a great snack. Prepared well, tofu is actually pretty tasty. And Silk Soy Milk is the most amazing liquid creation right after penicillin. I discovered soy milk out of necessity, enjoyed it by accident, and have become a proponent of it quite on purpose.
I’ve always been a milk fan. Sometimes a tall glass of ice cold milk hits just the right spot. While I was pregnant with my daughter I obsessively craved two things, baby powder (yes I was one of those) and milk. I wanted milk with everything. During my last trimester I would go through a gallon a day. I’m not joking or exaggerating at all. A full gallon. In one day. It was this and only this that kept me from ingesting copious amounts of talcum. After my daughter was born my system went into full lactose rejection. My doctors said that I wasn’t actually lactose intolerant just lactose under tolerant most likely caused by overexposure. For about a year after my girl was born I couldn’t handle milk. So at the recommendation of a friend I gave Silk Soy Milk a try.
It took ME some getting used to because I tried it expecting milk. Soy milk and milk: Very different entities. It’s sort of like grape juice and white grape juice are different. Same words in the name but different flavor all together. Once I wrapped my head around this I started to enjoy soy milk. The texture is about on par with whole milk. So if you are a 2% or lower drinker, it will feel a touch thick at first.
Eventually the lactose under-tolerance wore off but my enjoyment of soy milk hasn’t. I’ve now introduced it to my daughter. Chocolate milk in our house is actually chocolate soy milk (again Silk brand). It’s so much healthier and I feel less guilty about giving it to her. And last holiday season I discovered Silk Nog. It is flavored soy milk and an almost guilt free way to down egg nog this holiday season. So why give it a shot?
- Soy protein is ultra-healthy, better than whey protein.
- Soy milk, just like cow’s milk, is enhanced with Vitamins D & A.
- It is lactose and dairy free. For some people with sensitive tummies, digestive, or urinary tracts this is a definite plus.
- You can cook with it in just the same way you would milk.
- Its tastier then you think it is.
- Its the underdog of breakfast foods and we geeks are prone to r
- It comes in number of flavors like Nog, Chocolate, Vanilla, Pumpkin, Mint Chocolate, Very Vanilla, and Original. Very yummy and not nearly as unnerving as flavored cow’s milk. What? You may be cool with it but pumpkin flavored cow’s milk creeps me out.
You can get a coupon to try a half-gallon for yourself and make your own judgments.