This post is in partnership with Universal Pictures Home Entertainment
With the Minions being as popular as they are it’s no surprise to me that Despicable Me 3 was the #1 animated comedy of the year which makes it the ultimate holiday gift with an all-new mini-movie, Minion Moments. To celebrate the release of Despicable Me 3 on DVD and Blu Ray, I’ve decided to put together a simple DIY holiday minion costume. No sewing skills needed.
To start you will need the following items:
- Overalls – $23 and up
- Yellow or red shirt ($2 and up) – Can be long sleeved or short
- Yellow beanie hat ($6) – Knitted works best.
- Black pipe cleaners – ($6)
- Iron on Minion patch – ($7)
- Minion goggles ($8)
- Black gloves – Any kind you are comfortable with. Some prefer the cheap black winter gloves and others use the rubber ones.
- Boots – Any black shoes will work. I wear black Sketchers with my costume.
For the holiday accessories
Have some fun with your accessories. Minions don’t care what people think. They have fun. And so should you!
- Reindeer antlers, found at most dollar themed stores this time of year.
- Ugly sweater (optional)
- Wearable lights (optional)
- Candy canes (to put in your outer pockets)
As you can see the costume is pretty self-explanatory. The trick comes in with the hat.
Minion Hat Tutorial
To start, look at what your hat is made of. You will be taking the pipe cleaners and pushing them through the inside of the hat to stick out the top. If the pipe cleaners can’t push through naturally, you will need to make a tiny slit in four spots where you want your hair to push through. Keep your hair slits to an even number (this will make more sense in a moment).
After you know your hair placement, you’re ready to make your hair.
- Take a pipe cleaner and fold it in half.
- Stick the two ends through two slits in the hat and push it flush inside.
- Trim the pipe cleaner to however tall you want your hair to be.
- Repeat with as many hair pieces you’d like your minion to have.
Make sure to pick up Despicable Me 3 Special Edition, now available on Blu-ray & DVD and see what the beloved characters of Gru, his wife Lucy, their three adorable daughters—Margo, Edith and Agnes—and of course the Minions are up to. If you want something a little extra, the Walmart exclusive features a limited time gift set with a super cute and fluffy Minion backpack.
Disclaimer: GeekMom was given a review sample.