One of my sons’ birthdays is in April and consequently always managed to fall around Easter time. Because of this, we often
were stuck throwing had a big Easter breakfast/birthday celebration for our extended family. And can I just whine say that breakfast is one of the hardest meals to make for a crowd?
The following recipe came to my rescue. Egg Strada can be made the night ahead, refrigerated overnight, then popped into the oven. That’s about as minimal work as possible for a breakfast dish. I will warn you upfront that it is very dairy heavy–so if you are anti-dairy, you will probably not want to give this a try.
- 6 eggs
- 2 ½ cups milk
- ½ – 1 lb swiss cheese, shredded
- ½ – 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 12 small or 6 large slices sourdough bread
- Place a single layer of the bread in the bottom of a glass 9 x 13 pan.
- Beat together the eggs with the milk.
- Pour half of egg/milk mixture over the layer of bread.
- Place half the cheese on top of that.
- Repeat the layers one more time, ending with the cheese on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. (Note: Do not use metal pan.)
Serves 8 – 10