Not all GeekMoms are married to GeekDads. And GeekDad-ism, like many things, exists on a continuum from “enjoyed the first Star Wars movie” to “named his first daughter Leia.” Even though my husband falls somewhere in-between, his latent GeekDad tendencies are obvious. Here’s my Top 10 Ways to Know You’re Married to a GeekDad:
1. You spend your honeymoon at a theme park. (Sadly, Legoland wasn’t built then…)
2. You never know when you’ll walk into the dining room to find the table covered with a computer broken down into all its component parts.
3. He installs stilts under the legs of your bed so his comic book boxes can fit underneath.
4. He keeps his spare change in a Miss Piggy bank (with a coin slot where her cleavage would be).
5. The ornaments on your Christmas tree consist of Romulan Warbirds, shuttlecraft, and Borg cubes.
6. He asks you to dress up as Catwoman for Halloween. (Sorry, no photo of that one!)
7. He’ll patiently spend an hour building a tower for your four-year-old Superman to break down – and then comfort him when it collapses prematurely.
8. He spent more for his bicycles (and each of the kids’ bicycles) than for some of the cars you’ve owned.
9. Your kids’ college fund consists of a trunkful of first issues of his favorite comic books.
10. He’ll sit down with the kids and read through the trunkful of first issues, college fund be damned. (Well, maybe not Watchmen #1.)
Miss Piggy Bank image: Muppet Wiki
All other images: Kathy Ceceri