Reading Time: 3 minutes
The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending January 19, 2018.
- Did you see CMON’s Kickstarter trailer for Hate? (Not linking because it’s very NSFW.) Were you as dumbstruck as we were?
- This week’s image is from Meeple Circus. Three rings of fun!
- Gen Con registration is now open! Go get your badges before they sell out!
- Star Wars Legion grows closer and closer. This week, we get a look at the T-47 Airspeeder and the AT-ST. I’ll be honest, I’m not sure I’m that interested in playing, but I surely want some of this stuff for my desk.
- Scythe is coming to Steam soon (PC only) and, naturally, there’s a trailer for it. Check it out:
- The new Century: Spice Road game, Century: Golem Edition, will be hitting retailers in Q2. While using the same mechanics as Spice Road, Golem Edition will have entirely new artwork and components. The game will retail for $39.99
- I like small games. They’re just easy to carry and, better yet, you can carry a few of them. However, sometimes you just want to go big. And not just big, HUGE. Later this year, you’ll be able to play Codenames XXL, with cards that are double the size of regular cards. It’ll be perfect for big groups and those of us who, ahem, need help with aging eyes. This will be the same size as the in-store promo kit Czech Games did last year.
- Plaid Hat has a video overview (below) and a release date, February 1, for Stuffed Fables, the “Storybook Adventure” game. We are pretty excited for this one!
- IDW announced an X-Files game, The X-Files Conspiracy Theory: Everything is Connected. You’ll play as Fox Mulder in the story-telling game, trying to construct a plausible theory that will impress his FBI overlords.
- What’s coming soon? One of my favorite games from the last couple of years is Valeria Card Kingdoms (read our review). That game gets its fourth expansion, Peasants and Knights.
- Renegade Games will be releasing Dokmus next week, an abstract-y puzzle that will test your strategy and tactics. As you play, the board changes and moves. Look for a review from us soon.
- Bezier Games will bring us Palace of Mad King Ludwig, a new stand-alone game and a long-awaited follow-up to the 2014 hit, Castles of Mad King Ludwig.
- Finally, Warlord Games has Dalek minis on the way. They are additions to their Doctor Who miniatures game, Exterminate!, but go ahead and grab one for your fireplace mantle or bookshelf. We won’t tell!
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Jonathan Liu wrote about an awesome space exploration game, Kepler 3042, and the Kickstarter for Tiny Epic Zombies.
- Anthony Karcz was all gushy about the Star Wars Imperial Assault app.
- I came from the land of the ice and snow when I told you about Explorers of the North Sea.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Jonathan Liu: Lovecraft Letter, Codenames Disney, Millennium Blades, Tiny Epic Zombies (prototype), Ancestree, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, Pandemic, Apocrypha Adventure Card Game
- Michael Harrison: Roll Player, Roll Through the Ages
- Robin Brooks: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire
- Simon Yule: Risk Legacy, Mascarade, D&D Curse Of Strahd
- Gerry Tolbert: Gloomhaven
- Dave Banks: Dokmus, Sticky Chameleons, Explorers of the North Sea, Castell, Deep Sea Adventure, Outpost: Siberia
Click through to read all of “Re-Roll: This Week’s Tabletop Game News for Week 3 of 2018” at GeekDad.