It’s obvious that everything changes when a newborn baby is welcomed into your world. But for geek-girls-turned-geek-moms, there are some unique changes and challenges in store. (But don’t worry—that’s what GeekMom is here for!)
- You learn to shriek quietly at The Walking Dead, because you become the walking dead if you wake the baby.
- Your idea of a movie marathon is when you get to finish a two hour movie.
- Midnight screening? More like midnight screaming.
- You keep “marathoning” the same episode of Battlestar Galactica over and over because you forgot you’ve already seen it.
- You think one season of Firefly is binge watching? Just wait until you get through 45 seasons of Sesame Street.
- You stop quoting along with Labyrinth JUST IN CASE the Goblin King might really show up.
- You used to wear your Mass Effect N7 hoodie to show off your Spectre street cred. Now you wear it to hide your unwashed hair because you haven’t showered in three days.
- You become a master at typing while holding a baby in one arm.
- You’ve spent years lovingly collecting and organizing the books on your bookshelves. After your toddler gets her hands on them, your books go from “alphabetical” or “genre” to “floor.”
- Your Benedict Cumberbatch pinning sessions turn into birthday-party-planning pinning sessions. (But with some Benedict pins thrown in, let’s be real.)
- The Star Wars toys you’ve been holding on to for 20 years are actually played with. And you don’t mind one bit.
- You start geeking out about first smiles, first laughs, and first steps.
- You become part of a special fandom that’s unlike any other: You are your child’s biggest fan.
What else changed for you when you went from geek girl to geek mom? Let geek moms-to-be know what’s in store in the comments below!