When I cosplayed as Wonder Woman for the Romance Pride “come as your genre” party at the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention in Kansas City last week, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I worried the costume wasn’t right, that I was too old to cosplay (I’m 47) and just plain worried in general. I’m not shy but costumes are a whole ‘nother level.
It turned out awesome, though I might add tights next time, especially if it’s chilly.
So here are the top ten awesome things that happen when you dress as Wonder Woman at a romance convention:
1. The male cover models come up and ask you for hugs.
2. People’s faces light up and they shout “Wonder Woman!”
3. They take photos and ask you to pose.
4. They ask where the invisible plane is and you can answer, truthfully, “I’ve loaned it to a Seattle museum.”
5. Your agent sings the Wonder Woman theme song as you walk by.
6. When your roommate, historical author Christine Merrill, dresses in Regency garb to represent her books and your other roommate dresses normally, you can then claim you’re a collection of Doctor Who Companions from various worlds and times.
7. Edna Mode is wrong. Capes are awesome, especially when the wind hits just right.
8. Wide calf boots are the best invention ever.
9. Etsy is the place to go for the best costume wear.
10. You begin to feel you can accomplish anything.
Yes, dressing as a superhero can go to your head.
Use with caution as with great power comes great responsibility.