Today we’d like to send GeekMom birthday wishes to Casey Kasem, celebrating his 80th today. Most of our kids have no idea what “Saturday morning cartoons” are, but Casey hosted NBC Saturday Mornings in the 80s and was known to many of our parents for “Casey’s Countdown” and the “American Top 40 with Casey Kasem” show, which he did for more than 30 years, making him beloved by multiple generations.
But why the special geek love? Let’s review a few of his credits!
- The Batman/SuperMan Hour (1968-1969)
Dick Grayson/Robin (voice), also voiced Robin in the 1973 Super Friends series and 1977’s The All-New Super Friends Hour, 1978’s Challenge of the Super Friends, the early 1980s Super Friends series, and many others
- Scooby Doo, Where Are You! (1969-1970)
Shaggy (voice), also in The New Scooby Doo Movies of the early 70s, Scooby’s Laff-a-Lympics, Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo, A Pup Named Scooby Doo and many more Scooby productions
- Josie and the Pussycats (1970-1972)
Alexander Cabot III (voice), including in Josie and the Pussycats in Outer Space
- The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant (1971)
- The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries (1977)
- Battle of the Planets (1978)
- Charlie’s Angels (1978)
- The Flintstones Meet Rockula and Frankenstone (1979)
Monty Marble (voice)
- The Return of the King: A Story of the Hobbits (1980)
- Fantasy Island (1984)
- The Transformers: The Movie (1986)
- The Transformers (1984-1986)
Teletraan I, Cliffjumper, Bluestreak (voices)
He’s played in many, many other live shows and done voice work for other animated shows and movies as well, from Histeria! to Captain Planet, sometimes as caricatures of himself, such as Flakey Fakem in Tiny Toon Adventures and Spacy Kasem in Homeboys in Outer Space. He even has a cameo in Ghostbusters.
Happy birthday, Casey, and of course, keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!