This year Father’s Day falls on June 19, on this date in 1910 Father’s Day was celebrated for the first time in Spokane, WA. Whilst other towns have claims to prior celebrations, it is from this event in Spokane that we can trace the modern-day holiday. Though Calvin Coolidge was an advocate of the holiday, it was not until 1966 that presidential proclamation made it an official holiday, and even then it wasn’t permanent until 1972.
So here’s some fun facts to test dad’s knowledge on June 19 this year:
- On this date in 1846 the first baseball game (according to the Cartwright rules) was played. The NY Nines beat the Knickerbockers 23-1.
- On this date in 1940 the German 7th Armour division, under Rommel, began it’s occupation of Cherbourg.
- On this date in 1947 the 1st plane to exceed 600 mph (1004 kph) was flown by Albert Boyd in Muroc, California.
- On this date in 1955 Mickey Mantle hit his career home run with 100 runs.
- On this date in 1956 Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin ended their partnership after 16 films.
- On this date in 1976 U.S. Viking 1 went into Martian orbit after a 10-month flight.
- On this date in 1983 Octopussy premiered in the US.
- On this date in 1988 the world’s largest sausage was completed, it was 13 miles long.
- On this date in 1992 Batman Returns opened.