Several months ago my family’s love of fruit smoothies collided with a bowl full of leftover cooked oatmeal. I’m famous for my “kitchen tweaking” and while I was pulling out the fruit and juice to make smoothies, I opted for a little experiment. Why not add oatmeal to the smoothie for a little more substance and staying power? And while I’m at it, why not toss in some vegetables? My kids didn’t flinch. In their minds, it was just like any other smoothie I’d served up: tasty.
- 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1/2 cup sliced raw zucchini or cooked beets
- 2-1/2 cups frozen mixed fruit
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 cups juice, depending on how thick you like your smoothies (I like pineapple)
Put first four ingredients in a blender along with 2 cups of juice. Start blending, adding juice as necessary for desired thickness. Makes 3 generous servings.
- I splurged on a VitaMix blender several years ago (and truly, I use it almost daily) but this recipe will work equally well with a regular blender.
- As evidenced by Laura Grace Weldon’s Lick Your Veggies post, steamed carrots or greens would work, too, though I’ve not yet tried those.