Spoiler alert: Anyone who has not read all of the Harry Potter books and cares about the ending, stop reading now.
There is a giant hippogriff in the room, so I am just going to come out and say it: Harry and Hermione should have been a couple. Throughout the entire series I just assumed they would end up together, as they seemed to complement each other so well.
So, since it’s of Harry Potter week here at GeekMom, I thought I would share with you my top reasons Harry and Hermione should have been an item:
- Both are intelligent and excel at most subjects. Sure Harry blew off history of magic, but come on, it was taught by a boring ghost!
- They are supportive of each other. Hermione is always there for Harry, even when Ron is off pouting somewhere because he isn’t popular. In the final books, Ron even deserts both of them and Harry and Hermione must stick together to survive. Hermione is clearly willing to do all she can to help Harry defeat Voldemort.
- They are sensitive to each others’ feelings. Hermione knows how hurt and angry Harry is at Dumbledore in the last books, and Harry understands how Hermione feels when Ron is so cruel to her.
- Both of them are compassionate, sometimes to a fault. Hermione championed house elves, while Harry was always going out of his way to help people, like rescuing Fleur’s sister Gabrielle.
- They are both from the Muggle world, even though Harry’s parents are wizards. They both are discovering their magical skills and the Wizarding world at the same time.
- They are best friends and for a relationship to really last, that is a good start.
- Ron: where to begin? Throughout the series he is selfish, jealous, cruel, and rude. He treats Hermione poorly and uses her to get his homework done. He says unkind things about her interests and her abilities in school. He is insanely jealous of Viktor Krum and goes out of his way to be a jerk. He is not even close to Hermione intellectually. He is mostly interested in quidditch, copying homework, and being mean to people. I honestly don’t think a woman of her intellect and talents would put up with how Ron treats her, though I know some women are gluttons for punishment.
What say you, fellow HP fans? Did JK Rowling get it right? Or should Harry and Hermione have ended up with the happily ever after?