Do you have a Geekling who wants to be R2D2 for Halloween? Is your Geekling older than a toddler and therefore can’t really fit the commercially-available costumes? In 2008, right on the heels of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in theaters, my 3 1/2 year old son wanted to be R2D2.
With just a trash can from our local home improvement center, spray paint, a few Sharpie pens, and some materials on hand, we made our 3 1/2 year old an unforgettable costume!
Disclaimer: I know it isn’t a spitting image. My sons didn’t care that it wasn’t a spitting image. I have been so proud of their imaginations and creativity every Halloween season. I’m sad that a lot of that is starting to fall by the wayside as they get older and merely want to be like their friends, but it was fun while it lasted!
Do you want to make an R2D2 costume for your 3-7 year old? All you need is one of these (and a few other materials):
But then what? I’ll show you! In addition to the Rubbermaid bullet trash can, gather these additional materials:
- White Plastic-friendly spray paint
- Deep blue metallic spray paint
- Silver spray paint
- Black and blue Sharpie pens
- Anything else you want to make it look like R2D2
- White duct tape
- An old baseball cap
A few notes about this costume:
- We put my son in a white t-shirt and white sweatpants.
- To make the helmet stay on my son’s head, I hot-glued an old baseball cap to the inside. I secured the baseball cap backwards and the helmet stayed on very nicely.
- You can’t sit in this outfit. When it comes to trick or treating, this wasn’t a problem. My little guy trucked all through the neighborhood with no complaint. At the preschool Halloween party, he had to step out of the cylinder to sit down for crafts and snacks. With the white duct tape straps, this was easy to do.
Happy Halloween, Geek Mom friends!
Latest posts by Patricia Vollmer (see all)
- Adventure Time: Frost & Fire Is Three Hours of Family Fun - March 11, 2015
- Geeking Out with the Disney Dream, Part 1: The Little Things - March 3, 2015
- Enter to Win! Clarence: Mystery Piñata DVD with Your Very Own Piñata! - February 23, 2015