I don’t know about you guys, but depending on the time of day, I’m always looking for ways to do one of the following:
Recently, I stumbled upon a fun family game has helped me to accomplish both goals! It’s called Yoga Spinner Game and it was created by ThinkFun.
Our family received ThinkFun’s Yoga Spinner Game at no cost in exchange for a review. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. I only choose to review products that I would use with my own family and our family loves ThinkFun.
Get those kids moving with ThinkFun’s Yoga Spinner Game
Yoga Spinner Game is designed for ages 5 and up and is ideal for 2 or more players. The game includes a spinner and playing cards in red, green, white, and blue.
To play, players sit in a circle and players take turns using the spinner and selecting cards of the appropriate color. Each card contains a yoga pose and the player must hold that pose for 10 seconds in order to keep the card. White cards are cooperative cards and require two players to work together on a particular pose.
The first player to obtain one card of each color wins the game.
Another fun award-winning game from the folks at ThinkFun
Yoga Spinner Game has won multiple awards including:
- Oppenheim Toy Portfolio’s Platinum Award 2016
- Parent Tested Parent Approved Top Pick of Toy Fair 2016
- Parents’ Choice Silver Honor Award 2016
What this homeschooling mom loves about Yoga Spinner Game:
I have three children (8-, 6, and 4-years-old), and all three have enjoyed this game. I love when I can find a game that is fun, teaches important skills, and one that our family can enjoy together. Here are some of the reasons why this particular game was such a hit:
- Great for multiple ages and multiple children.
- A game that adults can enjoy, too.
- Improves coordination, balance, flexibility, strength and mood.
- Encourages physical activity and health.
- Great practice in following directions.
- Teaches mindfulness and improves focus and mood.
- Portable and affordable. ThinkFun’s Yoga Spinner Game is available for just $14.99.
- Great alternative to screen time.
As the mother of a child with sensory processing disorder, I found Yoga Spinner Game to be a useful tool. Many of the cards, while fun for my son, help to work on weaknesses such as body awareness and crossing the midline.
Here are some ways that we built upon the fun and made the game even more challenging:
I have been working on mindfulness with my children for several years. Because of this, they are quite familiar with yoga. Once we got the hang of playing Yoga Spinner Game we decided to increase the fun and challenge by doing the following:
- We required every player to try each card’s pose.
- We tried holding each pose for 30 seconds.
- For especially challenging poses, we had contests to see who could hold the pose the longest.
Here is how we use Yoga Spinner Game at home
This game is versatile. I have used it on cruddy days when the weather is not cooperating, as a way to wear the kids out indoors. I’ve also used Yoga Spinner Game just before bed as a way to calm the kids down at the end of the day.
ThinkFun’s Yoga Spinner Game is the perfect game for:
- Team-building activity
- Group therapy
As a former school psychologist and homeschooling mom, I could see this game being used in a variety of ways. I hope your family, or your students, love it as much as we do!
Tell me: Do your children love yoga? Share here!