Very soon, I will be hosting a Star Trek book club over at United Federation of Planets, and you are invited!
Every other month, participants will read a Star Trek novel, chosen by participants, based on readers’ suggestions. Each week, during the months we are reading, discussions will be held on the United Federation of Planets’ discussion forums. These discussions will be led both by participants and by me.
But, reading and discussing Star Trek novels, with like-minded individuals, are not the only benefits of participating in the book club. I’ve commissioned some graphic goodies from Matt Schubbe, the ridiculously talented artist who illustrated my book, Five Little Zombies and Fred. The graphic goodies will be awards, of sorts, given out to participants of the Star Trek book club.
Not only will people receive a uniquely designed book club badge, as a reward for participating—each book will have a newly designed badge—but, you will also receive points on the United Federation of Planets website, based on your participation, and you will also receive ranks, based on points accumulated. The point and rank system isn’t meant to be a competition, but rather, act as a way to entice people into greater participation.
There is a schedule, of which you should be aware. The schedule will repeat, with one month dedicated to voting and acquiring the book, and the following month dedicated to reading and discussing the book. The following schedule is subject to change:
- Now until November 30, 2013 – People who are planning to participate can enter their book suggestions into the Google Drive spreadsheet.
- December 1 – 14, 2013 – A poll will be posted on the United Federation of Planets website, consisting of those suggestions. Participants vote.
- December 15, 2013 – January’s book will be announced.
- December 15 – December 31, 2013 – People will purchase, or borrow from their local library, a copy of the selected book. They can begin reading if they choose.
- December 31, 2013 – Discussion and reading schedule will be posted on the United Federations of Planets website, both as a post and in the discussion forums.
- January 2014 – Weekly discussions about the book on the United Federation of Planets discussion forums.
- January 15, 2014 – Time to start inputting suggestions for March’s book.
To ensure you don’t miss out on any book club related announcements, I suggest you subscribe to the United Federation of Planets’ RSS feed.
If there is a book you’d like to read during the month of January, don’t forget to enter it in the Google Drive spreadsheet below. On December 1, 2013, remember to head on over to United Federation of Planets to vote.
I am very much looking forward to reading and discussing Star Trek with you!
Live Long and Prosper.