Household Gadgets
Review: Shark Sonic Duo Carpet & Floor Cleaner

Worth Using

Image: Shark

Susie Homemaker I am not. I manage to do things like laundry and dishes pretty well, and the other chores that you have to do or you’ll run out of things. Floors, though, almost always get overlooked. I’ll sweep sometimes, or vacuum when the floor is clean enough to do so. But I rarely get to any deeper floor cleaning. The process is usually messy with a lot of prep and clean up.

I recently read about the new Shark Sonic Duo Carpet & Hard Floor Cleaner and thought I’d give it a try. I liked the fact that one machine could clean both hard floors and carpet, since my house has both. The packaging claims that it is good for wood, tile, linoleum, laminate, and stone, but my review only covers hard wood floors and no-pile carpet. My floors don’t receive too much heavy traffic, but did have some difficult-to-remove pet stains.

Carpet bits. Image: Shark

I started with the hard floor cleaning setup, and was very pleased with how simple it was. The floor cleaner comes with several different floor pads, so I had to make sure the right one was on the machine. Then I mixed the cleaning fluid with cold water in the included mixing bottle (it includes one for hard floors and one for carpet), and started cleaning. It runs a lot like a vacuum. Plug it in, turn it on, lean it back, and run it over the floor. You press a button to spray the cleaner out on the floor, which you can do more or less of, depending on your needs. You can also have the machine scrub parts of the floor more or less, since the bottom of the machine vibrates in place.

On the hard floors the machine acted a bit like an electric, vibrating Swiffer Wet Jet. But after cleaning, our wood floors looked very clean and shiny. This is probably because it will do 1000 scrubs per minute, much more than my arms can handle. All of the fine dust that inevitably remains after you sweep was gone. You do have to sweep thoroughly before using this machine, though, because any stray dust bunnies will just get wet and ball up. Using the machine was smooth and easy, and felt a bit like a floor buffer. The floor dried very quickly, and didn’t require rinsing.

Hard floor bits. Image: Shark

Next I tried it on our carpet. It was equally simple. I started by vacuuming the area to pick up dirt and lint. Then I pre-treated the pet stains with the pre-treating spray, waiting about five minutes. In the meantime, I mixed up the carpet shampoo. This was also mixed with cold water. Running the machine over the carpet did feel a lot like vacuuming, except the carpet was slightly damp afterward. It also didn’t require any kind of rinse. The carpet took longer to dry than the hard floor, probably because the carpet soaked up the cleaner. And the spots I had pre-treated took a few hours to dry because I had soaked them ahead of time. But the carpet looked great afterward, and once everything dried, it was clear that my tough pet stains were gone. These were stains that I had tried to remove previously with Spot Shot, which had always worked in the past. I guess the combination of the Shark cleaners and the scrubbing action did it better.

What did I think overall? I liked the machine in general, but I think it’s more useful for carpet than hard floors. It works great for hard floors, but it is probably more machine than most people need. But if you have a house with just carpet, or mixed types of floors, this is a good machine to have. Since you mix the cleaner with cold water, you can let the excess sit on your shelf and just use it whenever necessary—spot clean, or do whole rooms. The machine is light and has very little setup time.

I also liked how there were two different reusable bottles, one for the hard floor cleaner, and one for the carpet shampoo. They are color coordinated with the scrubbing pads, which are labeled for their use. The machine came with two different pads for hard floors (one for cleaning and one for buffing) and two different pads for carpet (one for general cleaning, and one for stains). It also came with hard floor cleaner, pre-treater for carpet stains, and the no-rinse carpet shampoo. A tray was also included, to store the machine on when not in use. Since it has Velcro-type fasteners on the bottom, it’s better to elevate it off the floor, especially carpet.

Also, there are two speeds for the machine, a low and a high, depending on your needs.

When choosing what pads to use, read the labels on each one. They are clearly labeled there, but not in the instructions. When you’re done, cleaning the pads is easy. Just wash them in the washing machine with liquid detergent, and either line dry or tumble dry low. According to the instructions, you’re supposed to buy a new pad after 20 washes, which seems pretty frequent, especially if you use this to clean your floors every few days.

The Shark Sonic Duo Carpet & Floor Cleaner retails for $199. If you clean your floors frequently, this might be a really good purchase for you. But if you need deep cleaning less often, you might need something mightier.

GeekMom received a unit for review purposes.

Jenny Williams

Jenny Williams is Copy Director at GeekMom. She is a lifelong geek who spends her time learning, writing, homeschooling her two wickedly smart kids, playing board games, and mastering the art of traveling on a shoestring.

70 Comments
Yvette Jania

June 18, 2013 10:24 am Reply

Does it suck up the the water or does it just put down the water for the carpet cleaning mode?

Jenny Williams
Jenny Williams

June 18, 2013 12:03 pm Reply

It doesn’t suck up water, no. It sprays the cleaner on the floor in front of the machine, and then you run it over the places you want to clean, and it scrubs really well. You don’t saturate the floor, so it also dries quickly.

Drew

August 18, 2013 7:36 am Reply

I saw this on an infomercial. I have both Carpet (bedrooms and living room) and tiles in my kitchen and bath (I also have a swiffer as well). The apartment I live in with my wife I primarily do the housework (I really don’t mind ;P) but my carpet has always been an issue. We moved here in 2005 and the carpet obvioisly needs an exorscism. I own a Dyson Vac and it can only do but so much. Is purchasing this product worth it for my carpet ? Thanks !!!!

Jenny Williams
Jenny Williams

August 18, 2013 11:50 am Reply

Hi Drew! It doesn’t do deep cleaning, but it does well with spot stains and light cleaning.

Joyce Johnson

August 18, 2013 3:28 pm Reply

I Saw the TV Commercial showing the KDX2P Sonic Duo Kit today and began investigation. I have 5 rooms with carpet. The rest of the house is laminate. Getting too old to wash floors on hands and knees. Your information is very helpful. Thank you!

Mila

August 22, 2013 11:16 am Reply

I have steps in my home does it do steps as well?

Jenny Williams

August 22, 2013 3:59 pm Reply

It would do steps as well as an upright vacuum cleaner.

Lori Persky

August 27, 2013 12:37 pm Reply

Hi! I have a BIG house with a lot of hardwoods….minimal carpet. My hardwoods are not flat…they have some ripples in them (for lack of a better word). When I damp mop it takes a long time and I have to apply quite a bit of pressure…I work up quite a sweat. I’m wondering if this would be easier to use? It isn’t as wide as my mop but I’m thinking it would be easier to maneuver?

Todd Mitchell

September 3, 2013 12:40 pm Reply

We “accidentally” threw away the disposable bottle – do you know a good source to get a replacement?

MARGUERITE V KEYS

September 22, 2013 2:43 pm Reply

Since you mentioned several times that this might not be good for heavy cleaning. What do you suggest instead?

Ginger Keys 73 yrs fixed income/ have to be very picky about making a purchase. I have flat carpet and laminated flooring.

honey

October 25, 2013 11:53 am Reply

Hi
Can i use it on laminate floors as well.

Anna

November 1, 2013 4:17 am Reply

Shark Sonic Duo Cleaner does a fantastic job on my vinyl floors in very little time. Even though this machine cleans better if you go slow, it still cleans faster and better than a mop and bucket. I have indoor pets and a bad back . The Shark Duo Cleaner has made floor cleaning easy and pain free. It is light weight, glides across the floor, and cleans even dried-on messes by keeping the vibrating pads over the area a little longer. I could not be more pleased. My kitchen floor looks fantastic, clean without residue and no achy back for me. Vacuum to pick up the big stuff before you use this cleaner. Love this machine.

Lisa Van Wie

November 2, 2013 12:04 pm Reply

I’m watching the infomercial and it says it deep cleans.I’ve got terrible deep dirt from kids, dogs, and my carpets need too be replaced if I can’t get them cleaned. The info in tv says it deep cleans the dirt in the carpet to vacuum away after it dries. I’ve got hardwood, linoleum, carpet and rugs. My home is approximately 2,400 sq ft. Do you have another suggestion if this isn’t the machine for me? My carpets are the biggest problem and if I can get them clean, my home would be much better to manage. Thank you for writing this blog, it is helpful. :-)

Misty

November 4, 2013 12:23 pm Reply

My home is all tile and hardwood floors but I have many area rugs. Do you think the rugs can be cleaned on top of the hardwood floors? I wondered about how wet the floor would get underneath the rugs. Thanks in advance

Coleen Johnson

November 9, 2013 5:39 pm Reply

what do you recommend for heavier jobs, other than the Shark Duo?

Ruth Bishop

November 24, 2013 9:52 am Reply

I too have lots of dark wood floors (hand scraped and bumbie) I did not see an answer for the person that asked that question earlier and I really would like to know…does it streak?
Ruth Bishop

Stacey

January 31, 2014 12:12 am Reply

Yes, it does… Badly…

mercy

November 24, 2013 11:36 am Reply

can this be used on tile

Ruth

December 2, 2013 10:31 am Reply

Where can the shark duo be purchased?

Jane

December 7, 2013 11:02 am Reply

I just saw the sonic duo machine and I would like to know how does it clean wooden floors versus tile for floors? I do not have carpet. Does this machine clean grout?

Jane Wildeman

December 8, 2013 6:44 pm Reply

I -love- my Sonic Duo! I also have the Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro vacuum and the Lift-Away Steam Pocket.

I finally broke down & bought the Sonic Duo, and I was amazed at how well it cleaned my carpet. The carpet is light beige, about 8 years old and we were discussing replacing it before the Sonic Duo. I had purchased a Bissell Pro-Heat 2X Healthy Home carpet cleaner about 18 months ago. But it just took so much effort to use, and didn’t really clean the carpets very well. I thought they were beyond any help and would have to replace them.

My family room carpet (a short plush) looks amazing….better than it’s looked in years. The Bissell never made it look this good and was so much WORK to use!

Just today I started working on the berber carpet in my office. It’s been there for at least 15 years, and has never looked good. But because it’s glued to the concrete underneath, we haven’t been too excited about taking it up. I suspect it will take a few times over the berber to see any difference, but as easy as the Sonic Duo is to use, I’m willing to give it a few goes to see how it does.

Haven’t tried it on the hardwood or tile yet, but the steamer works great on them, so I’m expecting the Sonic Duo to be awesome, as well.

Replacement parts/spare parts can be purchased on the Shark website.

Amy

December 9, 2013 2:27 pm Reply

I have really bad pet stains. My hoover carpet shampooer cleans it, but the stains come back. One of things that interested me is supposedly the stains do not come back do they?

mary

December 10, 2013 5:39 pm Reply

it can be purchased online from http://www.walmart.com

Gman

December 15, 2013 8:55 am Reply

Where does the dirt and grime go after using Sonic Duo? Since it does not vacuum the dirt away where does it go.? While I understand how the pads absorbs some of the liquid I don’t believe the pads can absorb all the dirt and grime?

Karee Chatman

December 18, 2013 2:33 pm Reply

I love my Sonic Duo but Gman you do have to vacuum real well before using floor cleaner as the dirt goes into the pads…I don’t have traffic in my home so my tile floors only really get dusty and the pad picks that up real well. I do have to wash my pads in my washing machine on heavy load to get dirt and grime out..

Does anyone use other floor and liquid floor cleaner? Another brand that isn’t so darn expensive OR does anyone know how to make the cleaning liquids themselves? Their has to be a recipe somewhere out there? Help! I would love to get this expense down!! Oh, works well on my tile floors too as someone was asking…no streaking or sticky….

Gman

December 27, 2013 8:28 am Reply

Karee..thanks for the comment. I agree this product is way overpriced. My fiancée wants to purchase it…not me. I live in Florida and have carpets. First I always remove my shoes before walking on my rugs and then I wear some kind of socks…that keeps down most of the outside dirt and oil from naked feet…when visiting guest see you not wearing shoes on your nice clean carpet most will remove their shoes. I use Woolite One Step…before applying the Woolite product I spray my carpet with a solution of Oxygen Cleaner…..it comes in powder or liquid….it is much safer and cause less discoloration than diluted Clorox/bleach. For the powder follow the direction for rugs and carpet cleaning…mix a small amount of the powder in a water bottle sprayer and spray it on the carpet. After the Woolite One Step dries vacuum the carpet….works just great for me. Total cost less than $20. Be warned, this method will require a considerable amount of work for very large carpet or several rooms…so get out the muscle. For my tile flooring I use the Swifter cleaner. Yes the paperlike refill cleaner pads will dry out….and get soiled before completing the job…….so I simply spray on a solution of diluted Clorox and ammonia on to the pads and the floor..when the pads get soil simply turn them over…spray and keep cleaning. I don’t throw them away after the first use…I just rinse them with mild soap and water dry them out, spray on the Clorox solution and reuse…simple, effective and very cheap.

sue

January 5, 2014 11:46 pm Reply

Never ever mix Clorox (bleach) and ammonia .

gman

January 7, 2014 12:18 am Reply

Sue I realize the warnings about mixing Clorox and ammonia…however….in my mixture there is Clorox, water and ammonia…albeit a rather small amount. Hate to tell you this…but at 79 years of age I have been using this mixture for cleaning for years…learned how to do it in the Navy probably before you were born….not sure if they agreed….. and I am still here breathing and happy. Oh…by the way my fiancée order the Sonic and sent it back…you will have to ask her why.

Daniel Walker

January 8, 2014 12:19 am Reply

It is not a good Idea to mix bleach and ammonia in highly concentrated form or in areas that are not well ventalated. I have used that same solution gman is talking about on pet stains and it works. Key word is Diluted to much mixed with water will ruin your carpets.

Krystal Dillon

January 8, 2014 2:38 pm Reply

I saw this product on Sharks infomercial. I was very excited to use it, especially since it provided a 60 day return policy. When I received the product we were excited to try it out on our carpet. We have approximately 2300 sq feet of carpet and have tried several different products in the past. The product is very good for brightening and lightly cleaning carpet that is already in good shape. However, it is not good at deep cleaning. The infomercial is deceiving in that aspect. If you have several spots or high traffic you will find yourself on the floor spraying and cleaning by hand which defeats the purpose of an upright cleaner. This product didn’t work well for me and my needs therefore I called the No Hassle Return number provided with the product. I called and spoke to a representative who tried to persuade me to keep the product with a one time 20% discount which I declined but thanked her for. She asked why I wanted to return it and I politely replied, “It just doesn’t clean spots quite like I thought it would.” She then proceeded to tell me about the process of the return including emailing me a return slip to put on my box. I double checked that I would be receiving the full amount of my return. She paused and said yes except for the 49.99 for shipping. I told her I didn’t feel as though I should have to pay for shipping since the product didn’t meet my expectation as shown on the infomercial. She told me if I read the return policy on the internet I would see the that I would not be refunded shipping. I told I ordered off of TV and that it didn’t not state that in their advertising nor did the representative tell me about it when I ordered it. We ended up getting into a huge argument and she told me that I should be “grateful” that she decided to tell me about the $50 loss instead of being upset when I received my refund showing only a partial refund. She said she did it because I started out not “complaining” about the product. I adamantly argued that I should not have to flush $50 down the toilet because their product didn’t meet the standards that the infomercial deceptively displayed. She stated that the company was not willing to cover the shipping costs paid to UPS when they sent it out because I decided to order it. Are you kidding me?????????? It’s not like I ordered myself a wrong size of shirt and have to eat the $5.95 I paid for shipping because I have to return it. It’s $50 and I was not satisfied with the product!!! Shark should have to write the shipping off as a loss, not to mention that it didn’t cost them $50 to ship it. UPS contracted for money with them to be able to be their shipping company, I know how that works. She abruptly put me on hold for a minute, came back and said the manager was unwilling to do anything about my loss. Unbelievable, if they would have just done the return and fully refunded me I would very possibly think about trying one of their other products in the future but not after having this terrible customer service experience. Long story short, don’t order their product online. If you do so, try it out by buying it from a store so you can easily return it and not have to go through what I went through.

gman

January 9, 2014 3:33 pm Reply

Krystal…seems like you and my fiancée suffered the same fate. Frankly, I warned her about purchasing this unit online. The reason is that one cannot really see the effectiveness of such a product online. I suggested that she go to a local outlet that sells the cleaner first and see a demonstration…her complaint was that it was so heavy. Oh well she ate the $49.00 for shipping both ways. Sure am glad I did not jump the gun as I considered buying it for her Xmas gift.

MarineMomNM

January 9, 2014 10:23 pm Reply

I found this product today at Costco for $169. Costco as a great return policy your not happy with product. I’m going to try is on my moms small apt carpet after reading your reviews. I need to protect my back and carpet is new, but Chihuahua is confused about here to do his . I’ll let you know how it goes.

Jean Pasqualucci

January 19, 2014 7:00 pm Reply

I just ordered the Shark Sonic Duo from their TV infomercial. I should have waited as Wal-Mart sells the identical machine for $198 and I would have saved $50 in shipping costs. I have the Shark Navigator Lift-Away vacuum which I love. I will use that first before cleaning my rugs. I am so impressed with the Navigator vacuum which I use often (2 German Shepherd Dogs and 3 cats), I hope the Sonic Duo works as well.

scott

January 23, 2014 7:34 am Reply

i would like to get one BUT i see 3 different colors does anyone know what the different is between the green white and grey are

jeanette

January 27, 2014 4:43 am Reply

Thanks so much all of you for providing your experiences on the infomerial-Shark Sonic Duo Cleaner. While I had ordered it before reading this blog, I’ve received my confirmation and will promptly cancel the order and either go into Costco or order through Costco.com which is way cheaper than all of the add-ons you wind up purchasing.

Stacey

January 31, 2014 12:11 am Reply

I purchased the Sonic Duo and wasn’t as pleased with it as I hoped… It lightly cleaned the carpets and they dried quickly, but it is difficult to clean the high traffic areas. As far as the WOOD/Laminate floors – it STREAKS!! it doesn’t matter how many times you rinse the pads, it still streaks. Cleaning my 1,700 square feet of laminate floors in a desert climate (gets dusty really fast!) is the reason I bought this and am NOT at all happy with it. Will be calling in the morning to return it… I guess I get to deal with the shipping loss also bc I bought online. Good to know before the call…

Sheri

February 8, 2014 4:20 am Reply

I bought the Shark Sonic Duo and basically I bought a $200 mop. It doesn’t do what it advertised in regards to pet stains and deep carpet stains. Even the freshest spots on carpet did not come up. It got my hardwood floors and linoleum clean. It just doesn’t have what it takes to clean carpet.

becca

February 16, 2014 11:12 am Reply

So glad I found this website. Was going to go to Wal-Mart today to buy but after reading everything here….I think I’ll save my money and continue the old fashion way…on my hands and knees. Thanks to all..u just saved me $200!!!!

Keri

February 25, 2014 1:14 pm Reply

I bought the sonic duo a two weeks ago and just used it the first time today. It’s use is for my pergo laminate wood floors. Many may not know but steam cleaners are not to be used on floating floors. It ruins them by getting moisture in the seams and undue the flooring. So I figured I’d give this a try. I like it!! If you first use the cleaner then switch pads and go over it with and buff with a dry pad there are NO streaks and nothing but shine. It’s much easier than mopping and my floor looks great. I say it works. You just have to use it correctly. Clean, then use a dry pad to buff to a shine.

Keri

February 25, 2014 1:20 pm Reply

Sorry for the typos. Auto correct is a pain. * Steam cleaners ruin Pergo floors by getting steam in the seams and under the flooring. It is right on the packaging for any floating floor. Do not use a steam cleaner. The Sonic Duo will not ruin laminate floating floors like a steam cleaner.

Magdaleno Auriolis

March 2, 2014 7:10 pm Reply

I just received my Sonic Duo Carpet, Wood & Hard Wood Cleaner and one of the chemicals was leaking in the box. I pulled it out and accidentally some of the cleaner (soap?) touched my hand. I did not pay attention and continued with the assembly work and after about 10 minutes I felt like my fingers from my right hand were burning. I wash them for about 10 minutes but it kept on burning my skin. It left a white mark on my skin that does not go away. One recommendation should be to wear gloves and it should be right there in from t of the owner’s manual.
I did not know these chemicals were going to be that strong to burn the skin of my fingers (on the palm side of my hand).

Renee

March 3, 2014 11:55 am Reply

If anyone is interested QVC sells this machine. I saw it on line for $199, it’s on easy pay also. If you don’t like it you can return it on their dime and you have 30 days to do so. Hope this helps.

leslie

March 13, 2014 11:23 am Reply

Can anyone tell me how to remove the handle on the Shark Sonic Duo so I can put in back in the box for return. thanks

Sophie

July 17, 2014 10:05 pm Reply

Help!!!! does anyone know how to remove the handle as I am sending mine back, but the instructions only say how to put the handle on…..

Sophie

July 17, 2014 10:07 pm Reply

oh and KIWIKIDS i just spoke to TV shop as I am returning mine and they said I could keep for $300 I said no thanks I just want to return it…. who would pay $600 lol!

cleaning services irvine ca

March 19, 2014 5:59 am Reply

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that
service? Thank you!

Simon

March 19, 2014 12:01 pm Reply

Hi Jenny,
I just found your website while researching carpet cleaning machines for a customer, I usually just skip through without reading but I found your post most interesting and informative with great content.
Regards
Simon Harkness

Peggy Beyer

April 1, 2014 2:55 pm Reply

I have ceramic tile in my kitchen that has little indentions that collect dirt just wondering if the duo would clean this – I have to get on my knees with a scrub brush. I’m looking for an easier way to clean out these indentions.

Joy Brinsmead

April 8, 2014 3:44 pm Reply

I only have tiles through my house (no carpet anywhere) some that sound like Peggy’s ( with indents that catch dirt) so would be interested to hear if it works on them. I don’t need the carpet cleaning stuff, wonder if they would swap it for more hard floor cleaning product?

Dennis

April 9, 2014 12:42 am Reply

Costco has the Sonic Duo for $150.00 starting Thursday 4/10

Linda Progar

April 17, 2014 1:18 pm Reply

I ordered the Navigator Vac and Sonic Duo from a tv infomercial. After reading reviews I think I’m sorry I did. I have carpet that is heavily stained in one spot and am concerned it may not clean up and I’ll be stuck with something useless. Other reviews talk of horror stories of how cheaply these products are made.. Wasn’t happy about paying almost $80.00 in shipping and $28.00 in taxes.. Has ended up costing over $500.00..hope its worth it….

shalenah

May 10, 2014 4:15 am Reply

Oh gosh I live in nz I just orderd the sonic from TV shop for 579.00 . Wow that’s a big jump for what yous pay. So overall im getting the feeling from all these comments that its not going to clean my carpets just brighten the clean spots. Eeeek maybe I should cancel

GMIDDLETON

May 10, 2014 5:29 pm Reply

i have had this product since july last year when it first came out, it was $300 then. It works pretty well on all floor surfaces , but the sprayer is pretty much plastic and clogs up and can’t be fixed yourself , they wanted me to ship it to them at my expense. pay a $25 fee to process the repair , then pay to have it shipped back to me . this is stated in the fine print of the 2 year warranty that came with the product . so it would have cost me around $75 to repair the sprayer. i was told i could purchase a replacement machine from them instead for $55 plus tax and shipping. but that would end the warranty on the machine. I like the machine. it is easy to use and less mess and cleanup after. but there are other machine that are just as good and cheaper with a much better warranty program . I bought a $3 spray bottle that i used to disperse the cleaner . works just as good as the sprayer on the machine , just very inconvenient for such a high priced machine……..

Pam Russell

June 21, 2014 5:19 pm Reply

Just bought this and the light does not turn on and I don’t understand how to put the little scrubber on….help

ZWENY

June 24, 2014 8:06 pm Reply

I don’t know about this rug cleaning part. That’s why I purchased the thing to begin with – saw it on the infomercial and fell for it. They made it look as if it cleaned rugs beautifully. It did NOT make a difference on any of my rugs. Wonder why? I do use it for my tile kitchen and back hallway and it does a nice job. Wish I hadn’t purchased it now. I was so taken by the Shark Navigator upright vacuum which is a godsend for my rugs and my 2 German Shepherd dogs with all the dog hair. Couldn’t live without it, even though I have a great central vacuum system….
Zweny

mike F

June 27, 2014 3:13 pm Reply

I recieved A Shark Duo as a gift and it has never worked. Shark said Id have to pay like $89 for shipping and they would send a new one. Arrg. they also would offer no support as to how to fix it. I have had a horrible experience and certainly never recomend this to any one. The gift giver lives out of state and purchased it from a local only store so taking it back is not an option for me. Fact is that to have it sent back to Shark it would be almost half the price of the unit new. What a rip off.

Momma king

July 1, 2014 5:54 pm Reply

I’m a believer. My son just spilled a whole gallon of valspar paint on my newly carpeted living room. I cried… Got out my sonic duo…and it went away…amazing!

Pam

July 4, 2014 1:16 pm Reply

Just read all the comments. I am rethinking buying it. I bought the Shark Steam cleaner for floors. Sorry I did. I let three other people try it before they bought it. None of them bought it. It was too hard to use. You had to push the handle down to release the spray. It was too hard to use especially for people with shoulder problems.

kiwikids

July 13, 2014 7:41 pm Reply

So.. we also live in NewZealand and I just finnished watching the long bloated speile on the Shopping Channel about the Shark Sonic Duo.

Being not as nieve as some i thought that i’d do some googling and see what these contraptions cost around the globe.

What a surprise when i found that wallmart sells these for less then $180.00 USD , now add 20% to that figgure and it’s just under $200 NZD..
Shipping from USA i would guestimate at around $50.. so iam wondering how these SHARKS can justify porning off a cheap American mop for $580.00 legendary cleaning machine.

And then i seen the ‘But wait! , theres more!’ Crap … 5 year guarantee and “Fix it for FREE” BS… as obviously we the consumer would have to falk-out who knows how much for shipping and crap for a machine that costs the supplier less than $100 a pop i’m guessing.

Glad i read these forums and done some research before reaching for the phone and buying another piece of shit contraption that does bothing other then milk my pocket.. ohh yeah , how much for the shampoo consumables when the lil-pottle runs out?.. or do we just use pert 2in1 as a substitute?.

Linda

July 14, 2014 9:33 pm Reply

We use a black & decker steam mop for our dark wood floors and tiled kitchen and it works a treat with no streaks and lasts years. Just need to find a good carpet cleaner now but not willing to buy sonic duo. Anyone have a suggestion on a good one?

Sophie

July 17, 2014 10:08 pm Reply

E L Warren

July 24, 2014 12:15 pm Reply

I bought the Sonic duo and love it. My carpets were cleaned by professionals and always looked just as dirty a few days later. Sonic duo got spots out that I didn’t expect to get up. My den carpet looks clean after a month. I highly recommend it. I just wish I had taken pictures before and after. I even had several red spots from fruit drinks and they have not reappeared. My appliance repairman recommended this to me. He couldn’t fix my old machine that just did hard surface floors.

M Blanch

July 27, 2014 8:45 pm Reply

Wow. I am very glad I’m not totally gullible and researched this product first. Won’t be buying now, on the Australian TV ad, they don’t mention a price, just the try for $19 etc.

Gerry Williams

August 1, 2014 8:46 pm Reply

ordered and returned the Shark Professional Rotator vacuum in Jan of 2014, used it about 1 month, then it started falling apart, first the headlights quit, then it would turn off when turning to the right, then back on when going straight or to left. they took it back, had to pay S& H, no mention of offering to replace machine using the Famous ,5 year VIP warranty.
To make this short, my experience has been that all these :”as seen on TV products” and their demo’s are cheap lies and not worth the hassle of trying to get ALL your money back. I don’t care what Shark’s CEO, Mark say’s. They are made cheap, and most the attachments are like wise.
I agree with other’s remark’s, your better off buying from your local store, Costco, or Sam’s club or Bed-n- Bath ,there you can usually try them out in store or return them to the store for full refund, less the hassle of paying the shipping back fee’s. They should be banned from doing these cheap TV commercial’s, as they’re all set up to deceive you.

Marie Stevens

August 4, 2014 9:38 pm Reply

I have seen the sonic duo while on holiday in Australia. Have Bissel carpet cleaner at home which whilst expensive does not give the finish displayed by the Sonic Duo. Was going to check out purchasing one when I return home but thankfully I found this site first and so my thoughts have been completely turned round and I will just persevere with the Bissel. Thanks for all the feedback.

Missy

August 5, 2014 12:55 pm Reply

I, too purchased Shark Duo. Bought it at Costco for a good price. It was originally $179.00, but was on coupon for $45.00 off. I tried it for one month. It works good on tile floors, but seems to take forever to get all the floors done. Did not use it on carpet. Going back to mop and bucket for now. I found this site while searching how to remove handle so I can return it. I did not see a reply, but was able to figure it out. Lay unit carefully face down. Look on back of unit just below the lower solid cord holder. You will see two holes. There is a round one and then a smaller oblong on. Insert small screwdriver into the large round hole. With just a little pressure, you will feel a release and will be able to pull the handle away from unit. Let me know if this worked for you. Packing it up and going back to Costco!

PandL

August 10, 2014 12:41 pm Reply

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to remove the handle so I can return it? I have not used it because after reading the instructions I find that it won’t work well on heavily trafficked hardwood floors, and ours are pretty heavily trafficked in some areas…

Missy

August 11, 2014 12:16 am Reply

Yes. Lay unit face down on floor or counter. Using a very small screwdriver(like eyeglass one) insert into the small hole just below the cord holder. With very little pressure, you will feel it release and pull handle off.

Lois

August 12, 2014 11:42 pm Reply

Do not use the orange bottle of polish that comes with this machine! It totally ruined my hardwood floors. The customer service person (AMY) is terrible. I had to spend money to remove the wax and it still has not come off. They said I should try a professional company at my own expense! Thanks so much for this continuing nightmare!

Natalie

August 22, 2014 7:44 pm Reply

I love the Sonic Duo for both ceramic tile and high pile carpet. I previously had the hoover spin scrub for the tile and hoover max terrain for the carpet – Sonic Duo beats both hands down. For those looking for a cheaper yet effective alternative for the solution for both carpet and tile, I use white vinegar in place of the concentrated solution and add water. I’m used to using vinegar water ratio in the previous machines, but the Duo outperforms both; for carpet, just wait for it to dry, and then vacuum.