Family
Kari Byron, Mythbuster Mom: A Valentine’s Day Threesome

familyphotoApparently I need to find some less attractive babysitters.  Valentine’s Day is coming up and I have called everyone I know.

In Valentines past, I have gone to extraordinary lengths to show my love and be romantic with my husband. Back when we were starving artists I even got a job delivering roses … just so I could keep all the extras. I covered my one bedroom studio apartment in petals and cooked a candlelight dinner. Dinner may sound cliché but this vegetarian went so far as to cook him a steak! I guess nothing says romance to a southern boy like red meat. (P.S.  I wore rubber gloves and yes, I gagged while cooking it!)

This Valentine’s Day is going to be different. We are three now. Quite honestly I am looking forward to doing something special for my new little Valentine. In fact, I think my husband and I are more in love with each other now that she is in the picture.  It seems fitting to include her in the celebration.

When I was a kid, this was a special holiday for me.  My mom and dad always had a little special surprise waiting for me.  I could look forward to heart shaped pancakes and a themed lunch in my Annie lunchbox.  A little box of chocolates all my own, or some kind of fun present, would be waiting for me after school.  I remember carefully sorting out my Garfield classroom cards to make sure the cutest boy got the best one and the boy who glued my ponytail to the desk (you know who you are Josh H.) got the plain boring one.

I know this holiday can seem like a corporate scam to get you to spend money.  With our busy hectic lives, I just see it as a reminder to tell my family how much they mean to me.  I don’t need my husband to buy me fancy presents.  We don’t need an expensive night out.

I think the best gift is time devoted to us being together, all of us.

Enhanced by Zemanta

Kari Byron is a born tinkerer and explorer. By the age of 5, she was experimenting on her sister and using dolls as crash test dummies. Luckily for her parents, they always caught her right before her little sister took a ride down a laundry chute or was the subject of an "around-the-world" attempt on the playground swings. Kari began her career as a sculptor and painter before finding her dream jobs on MythBusters and Head Rush, where she gets to explore and experiment to her heart’s content. Kari lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and daughter.

42 Comments
MorrisCA3

February 7, 2011 9:13 am Reply

Has Kari Byron ever done commericals, swear I have seen her doing a mop commerical dancing around.

meg

February 9, 2011 10:00 pm Reply

same

EricLr

February 7, 2011 9:50 am Reply

Wow, your husband looks so friendly, happy, and non-pretentious in that picture. He must be a real treat at parties.

T Perry

February 7, 2011 3:47 pm Reply

You’re judging one half of a happily married couple based on… one photo. You must be a right prick at parties.

decompiler

February 7, 2011 3:57 pm Reply

Don’t feed the trolls!

Name

February 7, 2011 4:19 pm Reply

It’s a joke, calm down

Aggilus

February 7, 2011 10:59 am Reply

I think one of the most important thing Kari said is that now her daughter is included in the celebration. I was thinking how we can include our 3.5 yrs old daughter as well and Kari has given me some pointers.

Cheers and welcome back to Mythbuster my fav DiscChannel show of all times

Zap Riecken

February 7, 2011 11:02 am Reply

We are trying to come up with some traditions for the kids. My family always did something crafty for each other, but I don’t really remember anything specific other than exchanging cards.

Anybody out there have any fun or cute Valentines Day traditions?

Eve

February 13, 2011 2:37 pm Reply

I have an idea…… oh wait no I dont.

Jennifer

February 7, 2011 11:16 am Reply

We never liked the crowds on Valentines so usually ended up spending the night at home cuddling on the couch. Our first Valentines as a married couple I made him a pepperoni pizza with the pepperonis in the shape of a heart. Cue the sigh….ahhhhh :)

Now it is important for us to spend the time as a family. My daughter and I love to bake so we have been making sugar cookies and other treats to take to her school. We buy or make each other cards. We cook a special dinner together. She likes puzzles too so I will probably find some crosswords or something for her to do as well.

BTW, I am not a vegetarian but I can appreciate the sacrifice you made cooking him a steak. The things we do for those we love, eh? :)

Eve

February 13, 2011 2:40 pm Reply

Oh my god that is so sweat :)

David Biancanello

February 7, 2011 1:17 pm Reply

here is a geekey lulaby !

Ken

February 7, 2011 1:52 pm Reply

Wow… your girl seems to be growing up fast. She’s almost two now, isn’t she? Time flies. Good to hear that you have a happy family.

Josh H.

February 7, 2011 2:54 pm Reply

Sorry I glued your pony tail to the desk. Damn….you are HOT girl!!

Josh H.

February 7, 2011 2:55 pm Reply

Sorry I glued your pony tail to the desk. You are GORGEOUS!!

Carlos

February 7, 2011 2:57 pm Reply

Wow. This blog is very heart warming. We need to slow down and enjoy the little things. We need to appreciate the people in our lives.

Kathleen

February 7, 2011 3:36 pm Reply

Same goes for my family. It’s actually more fun when you include them too. I have three Valentine’s now!

decompiler

February 7, 2011 3:41 pm Reply

Our daughter (and only child) was born on Valentine’s Day, which has made it much more of a family holiday for us. She’ll be 12 this year, is a hardcore nrrrd grrrl, and a big fan of Mythbusters; I’ll be sure to direct her here when she gets home from school today (though she will almost definitely berate me for never having made her heart-shaped pancakes…)

Kyle C

February 7, 2011 3:46 pm Reply

My fiancee and I avoid the crowds and do pizza, beer, and lazertag. Doesn’t get much better than that!!!

Josh H.

February 7, 2011 3:53 pm Reply

It wasn’t me that glued your hair to the desk, it was Sean O. How quickly you forgot.

Eve

February 13, 2011 2:44 pm Reply

dud stop wrighting that, (^^^)

John T.

February 7, 2011 3:55 pm Reply

Hey Kari, if you want a Valentine’s Day threesome I’m available … you, me, and your hubby … we’ll have some fun!

Gretchen B

February 7, 2011 4:01 pm Reply

Kari,
Have loved watching you (and the rest of the gang) on Mythbusters and loved reading this blog about Valentine’s Day. My birthday is a couple days before and I have always loved this holiday. My mom always made it fun for all of us with cards and chocolates, etc. With 2 little Valentines as well as my husband, I am trying to start some traditions of my own. Think little boxes of chocolate will be in order to go with the cards. Maybe heart-shaped pancakes (thanks for that one).
Your daughter is adorable, by the way. When will she be on the show?

Kristi

February 7, 2011 4:18 pm Reply

We have always done fun traditions for our kids (we have 5). Heart shaped pancakes with strawberry syrup always won their “hearts”, and we still do it even though most of the kids are teenagers! It doesn’t matter what you do, just make sure they know you do it all for them – and tell them why- because you LOVE them so much!

abbz

February 7, 2011 4:54 pm Reply

Awww:)
Kari, you have an adorable family! Your little girl is such a cutie!
You’re my idol. Nerdy girls represent:)
Happy valentine’s day!

melinda mclane

February 7, 2011 5:28 pm Reply

I like the idea of making it a family celebration.

Josh H.

February 7, 2011 5:29 pm Reply

Hi, I’m another Josh H. impersonator. Anyway, I really love mythbusters. I’ve always enjoyed more realistic, destructive explosions instead of gasoline ones… You need to blow up a box of chocolates and see of anyone can catch the blown up chocolate in their mouths. Yummmm, c4 flavor!!!

Ken

February 7, 2011 6:13 pm Reply

That’s so cool. Who cares why a holiday was created? It’s what it means to you, and what you do with it that matters. I wish I could get as much out a holiday other than Hallowe’en. :) Oh, and I’m right there with Mr. Dour in the photo. I tend to look like that, too…and it doesn’t mean I’m not friendly, or don’t engage people. It’s just a “thing”, ya know?

Jack Laurence

February 7, 2011 6:29 pm Reply

Thank You Kari. I understand why your other half is “Hiding In Plain Sight” … others may not but I do. Take the jacket, sunglasses and frown away and you would never recognize him … and that’s the point I’m sure.

Jack Laurence

February 7, 2011 6:35 pm Reply

I have always enjoyed giving the little things to all the children and grand children of my family. Today I have 3 daughters and 1 son, all but the youngest is married with children. They added 7 grandchildren to the family which makes any holiday special for everyone.
Thanks Kari for showing that even the “Geek Mom” is just that, a Mom.

Sharon S

February 7, 2011 7:24 pm Reply

You are so right to make it more of a family thing. We didn’t have much money growing up, so my parents never went out much. Dad always bought my sister & I those heart shaped Valentine candy boxes and a bigger one for my mom. Sometimes my Mom would make a cake and we would decorate it with pink sprinkles. With our own daughter my husband always got her a heart shaped candy box (we still do, she is 27) but we would also make heart shaped pizza or cookies and homemade cards. Maybe it can be commercial but always about love at our house, no big gifts.

Guy Allen

February 7, 2011 7:27 pm Reply

Very cool- it fits so well with the cool tribe at Mythbusters that Kari is eclectic and happy- there is hope for some of the rest of us!

Kendrick

February 7, 2011 9:17 pm Reply

Baby Stella is soooo adorable :)

-drew

February 7, 2011 10:45 pm Reply

Glued your ponytail to the desk? On the plus side, that’s probably his claim to fame – (back when I was in grade school, Kari from the Mythbusters was my classmate and I glued her hair to the desk). So is that why you keep it so short now – permanent emotional scarring?

John

February 8, 2011 3:10 am Reply

I love baby Stella (:

Mickeyjoe

February 8, 2011 8:13 am Reply

Did you notice that grin Stella has? She’s already thinking about what she can blow up. lol

Emland

February 8, 2011 9:08 am Reply

What a great story. Happy Valentine’s Day! Lovin’ Stella’s boots!!

JAn jan

February 9, 2011 2:45 am Reply

You guys at Mythbuster are awesome Miss Kari. You really are a great rolemodel as a family person.
(I dont know about the others though) =D jk

melanie

February 14, 2011 11:39 pm Reply

Kari, as you know, your husband is sexy as hell :)

I say that, laying snuggling with my seven year-old, reading geek mom together.

We think Stella’s adorable :)

Thanks for representing :)

Rodger

September 18, 2011 4:43 pm Reply

Wow. That is one creepy looking dude. The guy standing behind the creepy dude is pretty scary too.

George

November 25, 2011 3:53 am Reply

Why does Stella look so much like Jamie and/or Adam?

LMAO!

Bob

July 14, 2013 10:43 pm Reply

I love the mythbuster show I always watch it on Netflix when I get home Kari u do a great job And keep up the great work